When the television series, Seinfeld, first aired in 1989, there weren’t many people that had confidence in how well it would do with audiences. It was unlike any other sitcom on television since there really wasn’t a storyline with the characters. Jerry Seinfeld has done a number of interviews regarding how the show came about and he’s always maintained that the series was actually a show about nothing.
Little did the Peacock Network know that eponymous star Jerry Seinfeld and his co-creator Larry David’s little “show about nothing” would become their benchmark sitcom for the next decades, redefining primetime comedy in the process.
It is definitely one of the most successful sitcoms to ever run on television and will undoubtedly live on to entertain new generations for years to come.
Take the quiz (below the article) to test your knowledge on the show about nothing.
Best Seinfeld Quotes That Are Still Popular Today
25. Jerry : We’re not gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
While at Monk’s Café, Elaine notices a woman in a nearby booth eavesdropping, and as a prank speaks to Jerry and George as if they were a closeted gay couple. Jerry and George strenuously deny that they are gay, conditioning their denials with “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
24. George : Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?
When Mr. Lippman accuses George of having sex with the cleaning lady in the office, he comes up with this epic response.
23. George : I’m a great quitter. It’s one of the few things I do well. I come form a long line of quitters. My father was a quitter, my grandfather was a quitter… I was raised to give up.
George boasts that quitting runs in his family.
22. Elaine : I once broke up with someone for not offering me pie.
Elaine sets her priorities right.
21. George : My name is George. I am unemployed and I live with my parents.
This quote comes from an episode called “The Opposite,” in which big-time loser George Costanza decides to do the opposite of his every instinct, since his instincts have lead him nowhere in life. So, he walks up to a hot lady in the coffee shop and announces his loser-dom.
If you liked the quiz, invite some of your Seinfeld friends and see if they can beat you!